Success in the translation business can be ensured only by providing high-quality translations that satisfy a performance-conscious clientele. Therefore, a systematic approach to translation quality is a key element in our business philosophy. Beyond personal commitment of our team members and our linguists’ ongoing efforts to ensure the highest-quality translation, we use the following means to prevent errors in our overall process:
1.Translator selection and evaluation
- A significant distinction between our team and those of other agencies is that we track and recruit professional Middle Eastern linguists online and through offline networking. While there are many Arabic, Farsi, Dari translators to be found via Internet translator portals, the fast-paced translation market makes it difficult to identify the most fully qualified linguists for each project from among the vast pools of online translators. Currently, most of our linguists belong to communities that are not necessarily found online, and up to 80% of their work is commissioned from the projects we handle.
- Most of our in-country translators have spent part of their lives in German-speaking metropolitan environments in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium.
- We have access to a wide range of translators for specialist subjects and industries, if there are projects larger than what our team can handle.
- Our team is generally comprised of in-country translators who translate into their native language. That is, an Arabic translator is mostly an Arab with a high level of proficiency in German.
- Each translator must have a minimum of three years' experience or will have translated at least 100,000 words over the past two or three years.
- The translator must hold a university degree in translation or interpretation, or a university degree in the area of specialization.
- The translator must pass a test tailored to the specific domain (such as medicine, marketing or legal affairs) before joining our team, and he/she must be recognized as an expert in the given subject area.
- Our evaluation process assesses translators on a bimonthly basis and monitors the translation quality over that period. Each translator must maintain a rating of at least 7.5 out of 10 in order to be considered for the next project.
2. Project management
- Our project managers are competent in various Middle Eastern languages in addition to German and/or English.
- They have joined us with at least three years of translation industry project management experience.
- They are detail-oriented.
- They have the satisfaction of the client as a priority, so they're keenly aware of quality requirements.
3. Translation process<
When a translation project is assigned to our team, our team takes all the measures to deliver a work with the highest quality possible. The following happens when a project is ready to be translated:
- A project manager receives the request, communicates with the client to ensure an understanding of all project aspects and the type of instructions that come with it. If there are any ambiguities, the project manager will seek clarification before proceeding and assigning the project to one or more translators.
- The project manager evaluates the project in terms of scope, aim, time frame, deadline, audience and the expectations of the client.
- Using our cloud based proprietary translation/translator management portal, the best candidates for the type of translation are contacted and are assigned.
- If the project is too large for a single linguist, a team will be established by the project manager. To ensure consistency and cost-effectiveness, one of the popular CAT tools such as SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast or Across will be used based on the preference of the client, if any.
- When the translation phase is ready, the project is assigned to our proofreaders.
- At the final step, the project manager makes sure all the instructions are followed and after our in-house Quality Assurance (QA) check, the project is returned to the client.
- Language Identification: In some instances the client may have documents but will not know the language being used. Thus it's necessary to establish the language and then place the order. We do this free of charge and, with the help of our knowledgeable project managers, we'll quickly identify the language.
- Formats: We can work with any tool or file format you prefer. Common formats include Doc, Docx, PPT, XLS, PUB, PDF, JPG, ODT, INDD, IDML, INX, XLIFF, TTX, ITD, TRT and AI. We're also able to translate from non-editable source files, such as PDFs, JPEGs and scans.
Our team stays abreast of changes in the translation industry, using the most recent version of all the popular CAT (Computer-Assisted Translation) tools and localization software including Trados, Wordfast, Deja vu, Alchemy Catalyst, Passolo, SDLX Lite, OLT, MemoQ, MetaTexis and other cutting-edge technologies.Technology is part of a quality-focused process:
Translation Memory (TM): The use of translation memory tools in our translation process ensures customer satisfaction and reasonable pricing:
- The client receives a consistent translation, which is particularly important for large projects. If they decide to update the project later, even if we use a different translator most of the terminologies will be consistent.
- For each language combination, subject matter and field, we develop a specific TM.
- Translation memories ensure the consistent of technical vocabulary and ultimately the development of glossaries.
- The client does not have to pay for the terms that are repeated! This makes the translation of large projects more cost-efficient. Consistency of Translation and Formatting:
- We use quality assurance add-ons embedded in CAT tools to take another measure to get us closer to a better quality translation for Middle Eastern languages. These add-ons check for tiny details which might have inadvertently been missed by the translators. Trivial but important issues include numbering, symbols and punctuation, which are then reported to the client for confirmation.
- Keeping a consistent work in terms of word choice for the special terminology of each field and text type will become more reliable when a glossary is made by our platform and the CAT tools that are used. Our platform allows centralized storage of all clients' translations, which are instantly available to project managers and translators. The platform serves as an integrated interface for project management and translation resource systems, thus ensuring timely turnaround and minimizing cost.
5. Review Process
Our translators are expected to review and proofread their work prior to submittal to the independent reviewer. CAT tools also help them, to manage their work in segments and get feedback of potential errors from such software.
Every one of our standard translations is proofread by a professional editor after it is checked by the linguist. The proofreader confirms the following:
- Language Standard: Grammar, orthography, country standards
- Fluency/Readability: Tone of translation appropriate to the target audience, smooth and natural flow of the target text as if written in that language rather than translated into that language
- Terminology Compliance: Based on reference materials such as style guides, glossaries, industry standard terminology, client reference materials, etc.
7. Rating the translations
Each translation project will receive a quantitative score by the editors of the project. This score is then communicated to the main linguist(s) of the project so that they can continue with the same level of standard in the quality or be more careful with future projects. If a linguist receives repeated low ratings by the editors, our team will investigate the issue. This rating system helps our team maintain the highest standard of quality. Certainly we're aware of human error, which can pervade any project that isn't quality-checked. Our process, however, minimizes the occurrence of errors and encourages a maximum effort by the entire team.
Sample translation: To make sure of the quality of the work you will get, ReoRex offers a free sample of 200-300 words for any project exceeding 4,000 words.